Terms of Reference for a researcher/coordinator to work on the “Mural of 50 years of occupation” (panorama of the occupation)
The Heinrich Böll Foundation is part of the Green political movement that has developed globally as a response to the traditional politics of socialism, liberalism, and conservatism. We seek to encourage and facilitate cross-border initiatives and regional cooperation. Our activities are guided by the fundamental political values of universal human rights, ecology, democracy, solidarity, and non-violence.
The Heinrich Boell Foundation established the Palestine & Jordan Office in Ramallah in 1999. The office is working in close partnership with currently more than 20 local partner organizations in Gaza, East Jerusalem, the West Bank and Jordan.
In the light of the 50 year occupation anniversary in 2017, hbs is preparing numerous activities to commemorate important events and key dates. As part of these activities, hbs wants to develop the “Mural of 50 years of Occupation”. The main idea is that the Mural will reflect the main events over 50 years of the Israeli Occupation since 1967 and it will serve as an exhibit that will be presented to the public in Palestine and abroad. The initial concept is that the Mural will be designed in a way that can simulate the Barrier (Apartheid Wall). Ideally it should have 50 pieces that form together the Wall. Each piece will have its own design that represents the main events in one year (50 years). Some of these pieces (3-5) will contain the usage of multimedia, video, audio, interactive design etc.
In this framework hbs is looking for a part time consultant to work on this project. The consultant will have a dual role as coordinator of the project, and also as researcher, with the following responsibilities:
- Conduct research related to key events that took place during the 50 years of occupation;
- Choose the main events that will be presented on the mural and present them to the hbs Program coordinator for further discussion;
- Suggest how to present less important events;
- This task should be finalized after one month of appointment.
- Develop the terms of reference for the designer that will construct the mural;
- Work in close cooperation with the designer and provide him/her with all the necessary historical information and research evidence that will be needed;
- Coordinate and follow up with any other third parties that will be involved in the implementation of the project;
- Coordinate the promotional arrangements of the mural exhibition (production of short film, radio advertisements, social media etc);
- Be responsible to arrange the organizational details for the display of the mural exhibition;
The researcher/ coordinator will be responsible to provide all the related organizational and coordination support during the construction of the mural, but also during the exhibition period. The work will be in close coordination with the hbs Program Coordinator.
A consultancy contract will be signed with hbs for 4 months.
Start date: 01.04.2017
- Master’s Degree in Media, social science, management or any other related field. Two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted instead of a Master’s Degree.
Experience and Competencies
- Considerable experience in researching;
- Good knowledge of the Palestinian historical context;
- High quality analytical skills;
- At least 3 years experience in project management.
- Working experience on similar projects mainly in the field of media and advertisement.;
- Experience in organizing public events;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to produce outputs as per agreed deadlines.
- Fluency in English and Arabic
- The closing date is 19.03.2017.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and should include the following:
- An application letter addressing the selection criteria including how the consultant's previous experience matches the objectives as well as the interest for the position (max 1 page).
- Candidate's financial offer.
- Updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications.
For inquires and clarifications please contact:
Mrs Lama Hourani
Hbs Jordan and Palestine/ Ramallah
Tele. : 02-2961121